Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Replacements

Because after a week like we've had we need a little comic relief, so I have another classic from our landlord's son.  (The poor, poor guy stuck talking to us all of the time because he "speaks English"--though seems to understand very little of what I say).

I called to fill him in on our big news yesterday.  I wasn't sure if there was some special procedure to follow so I made sure we had permission before calling.  He said he would notify his parents and call me back.  He didn't call back yesterday.

So this afternoon when I saw that he was calling, I sat down with my pen and paper ready for whatever he had to tell me and started mentally preparing myself to ask the questions I had for him. (Any time I have a conversation with him when I actually have something to ask or convey, I hang up feeling completely frustrated and mentally drained).

Here's how it went:

Giancarlo: Yes, Nicci, I am Giancarlo speaking.  Did I disturb you? (He always asks that).
Me: No it is fine.
Giancarlo: Yes, Nicci, my parents have question regarding your move.  You are leaving back to USA, no?
Me: Yes
Giancarlo: Okay. Does your man have replacement coming to Belgium?
Me: Yes, but...
Giancarlo: Okay. Does the new man expect to be living in the house?
Me: No, not for sure. He might choose another house.
Giancarlo: Okay so, for you, you don't know?  Okay. So I can call the woman from your man's work who
                says I can call her, no?
Me: Ummm, sure.
Giancarlo: Okay, thank you very much, Nicci. Bye bye.
Me: Wait, um....

Very productive call on my part, no? I love that when he doesn't like the answer I give, he changes it to "oh, you don't know".  Nice.

So after he hung up I sat here thinking that a replacement man sounds really good right about now. (Keep it clean people, keep it clean).  I could really have put him to work this past week on clean-up duty, put him in charge of coordinating dates for the move...  Where is that replacement guy anyway?  I'd like him to call Giancarlo back and try for the other half of the conversation.  UGH!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was a good laugh!!!! ahh giancarlo.

and this comment is going to look like it is from graham but in reality I am too lazy too sign out of his acct.

love - graham's wife!

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet