Hannah resting/recovering and making her famous pouty lips for Daddy. I would have taken one of the little one asleep in her bed, but she just looks so sad and pitiful. :(
Hannah: "What is a Who, Mommy?"
Mommy: (absently folding laundry) "A what?"
Hannah: "No, a Who?"
Mommy: "Who?"
Hannah: "Yes".
Mommy: "Okay". (Still absent, obviously).
Long pause as she looked through the book she was holding.
Hannah: "Mommy, can we watch Horton Who?"
So maybe not quite as amusing or entertaining as the original Who's On First, but when you've been trapped in a house for going on 5 days with a brutal, relentless stomach virus, you take what you can get.
Sometime during the wee hours of the morning following my last post, it all started with our little Sarah. She has had the worst of it and she is still fighting it after 5 days. Hannah joined in on Monday night and yesterday was the worst of it for her. Today she is a little better and Sarah seems better at moments and then... not so much, like when she asked to go sleep in her bed 2 hours ago. I'm so frustrated for her.
Nathan and I are hanging in there. Throughout the course there have been moments when I wasn't sure if I was feeling sick myself or just sick of cleaning up the constant stream of yuck coming from my two girls.
Today I'm just tired. The weather has been beautiful and springlike and I took the girls out on a walk that ended up being about 30 minutes too long. It has been a while since I've pulled the wagon and I'm fairly certain the kids in it were significantly smaller last time. I had forgotten how un-wagonfriendly the sidewalks here are. They seemed to enjoy being outside in the fresh air and sunshine. I know I did. But when we got home, Sarah, who I thought was on the upswing, had a setback. Ugh!
Despite all of this less than pleasant activity, the move is still on. I realize that I forgot to name our destination in the last post...Detroit. At the moment, we (we mostly Daddy since he is the one there) are looking in the Plymouth/Canton area where we lived before. In spite of what everyone thinks, people are not just giving away houses there so we are not just trying to decide which of the "giveaways" we're going to take. We are planning, budgeting, searching and praying.
On this side, we are doing what we've watched all of the other expats who've left before us do. Selling and giving away our stuff and tomorrow I have the pleasure of showing two different moving companies around our house so that the company can get estimates on how much all of this packing is going to cost. It is during those two appointments that I pray I (nor do any of my children) need to frequent the bathrooms in the house. Not good. I expect to have Hannah home from school again tomorrow. No need to rush her back. She was a very sick little girl yesterday and today is only mildly better. Hopefully her brother will be able to avoid it.
Due to our somewhat crazy planning, the kids only have the rest of this week and next week (along with maybe a day or two after the Easter break) left at their school. Of course this would be the week that Nathan's class has had the most homework he has had all year. Most of it has been paperwork he has handled himself, but over the weekend he has a science project to build an edible car--that will roll down a ramp! His dad would be all over that. Unfortunately he's stuck with his mom, who doesn't really like to think about cars except when she goes to the driveway and starts one. Of course, we'll get it done. (Although I'm fairly certain I've used up my allotment of ingenuity this week when I tried to put the handle back on one of the drawers in the kitchen yesterday...why oh why did you have to break now, Mr. Drawer?)
Our friends are so awesome. I have only taken the kids to school on Monday morning and friends handled ballet and pick-up for them Monday afternoon and then drop off and pick up today and yesterday. We've had tons of offers for shopping trips. If things don't change by tomorrow, I'm going to have to take someone up on one of those. We've got car parts to buy.
2 comments:
I feel your frustration. I can't get Caroline better either. Wish I was there to help but glad to hear that others are chipping in!
We have been on a Horton watching marathon as well.
Get better!
Congratulations on your move back to the US. I am sure it is bittersweet. Jennifer Dunton
Post a Comment