Monday, March 08, 2010

Splash Zone

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy


A couple of days ago, Hannah and I were looking at our favorite blogs and checking in on Kat, Jules and Baby Caroline. She enjoyed the pictures and we talked about how they are doing. Then she got out of my lap and went about her business playing. I went on to play the video for the "PSA". I don't think I said anything out loud about the video and I had no idea any of the kids were listening.

Tonight as I gave the girls their bath Hannah was filling up a little IKEA box with water and telling me about how heavy it was because "water is heavy when you have a lot of it, Mom" (her current unit of inquiry at school is "splish splash" and they are learning all about water). I told her to be sure and empty the water before she gets out and that I would clean the box before she played with it outside of the tub. She turned to me and said, "Oh yeah, because the water can be dirty from our bottoms and then the box and our toys can be dirty, right Mom? Also, the water from the toilet can get on the toys from up to 30 miles".

I looked at her a little strangely. At the time I remembered the video I'd seen, but not that she'd been around to see it. I asked her, "Who told you that?"

She got a little embarrassed I think and said, "No one. I made it up". But I pushed a little further just because I was trying to put it all together. I have to be very careful with my sensitive girl. When I question her too much about something, she starts thinking she is in trouble for some reason. I kept it light and easy and told her I had just heard that same thing she said, but couldn't remember where and that I was so surprised that she knew all about bath toys.

"I heard it on the computer, Mommy". I was a little blown away because she is not the one who generally listens to facts and tidbits when I try to give them to her myself. I just don't have the specific approach down that works for Hannah and it can be such a huge source of frustration for me, but I'm working on that. Apparently I just need to get Matt Lauer on board if I ever want to home school.

I was so impressed that she had remembered several things (even if she did get a little confused with the splash zone radius). Feet, miles. Close enough.

I was giggling to myself about Hannah's little distance confusion when I walked in to check on Nathan in his bath. I tried to give him the whole story, but even he was lost on how confusing 30 miles for 20 feet is slightly amusing.

Since Daddy's en route to the US, I had no one else to share the story with...hence I'm here. I'm trying to ignore the fact that I feel the tiniest bit queasy after round two of tummy troubles hit our home last night. The victim was the aforementioned traveler en route to the US. Round two along with some late night (for us) updates on the progress of our new nephew's arrival, and a wet bed due to the fact that parents who don't feel so well sometimes forget bed time Pull-up checks, prevented very much sleep from happening in this house last night. Although I've managed to avoid the stomach stuff so far, I did pick up a nasty cold that just keeps hanging on. I've been fairly worthless for the last few days. Definitely feeling better today, but this queasy feeling is not very comforting. Maybe I can just blame it on the bath toy conversation and re-watching that video to see how far off my child was from getting the numbers right in the "splash zone".

PS Our nephew did arrive this morning (California time), but I don't have all of the official details and wait patiently to see how adorable he is. I talked with his mom who sounds amazingly well after going over 24 hours without sleep. Can't wait to know all about him and then to meet him!

1 comment:

BelgiumBound said...

Wow! This was an eye opener! Who would've thought that toilet water can splash 20 feet away?

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet