Monday, January 10, 2011

Bling Bling

So here is the unfortunate similarity between our son's and our daughter's snow pants.  Although there is a more gender neutral trend out there, clearly the average 3rd grade boy in Michigan is not ready...
Obviously, this is a picture of Hannah's pants because Nathan could not find his pants at school on Friday.  Someone else took them home.  Probably a girl.  No, I'm kidding.  It was actually a boy and they were returned to him today and came home very muddy.  He may wear girl pants, but he plays like a boy. :)

So today is day one of getting used to a traveling daddy again.  We must be out of practice.  A late alarm clock made for a very hectic rush to the airport with 5 minutes to spare.  He made it. 

Snow in Atlanta sent our Aunt Daphne and her boyfriend our way on their way home from London today.  They just jumped right into our little circus for a few hours.  We missed basketball practice tonight, but hey, basketball happens twice a week, Aunt Daphne in Detroit?  Not so often.  I can only hope that their jet lag voids all memory of any bad behavior exhibited by my children.

Our snow on the ground is less than impressive--I guess we should have moved south?  The kids got out and played in it yesterday anyway while I tried and failed at making home made corn dogs. 


After our son threw a shovel full of snow in his sister's face, her father came to her rescue. 


They also played a little ball.

On a much sadder note, I have found myself explaining a lot about people who shoot guns at little girls.  I don't understand it myself, much less do I have the words to explain it to my children.  This morning at breakfast I did talk to them about it a little.  Sending them out to school, I just am never sure what they might hear and I want them to be able to talk with us about anything--even the hard stuff.  While I think the older two were okay with hearing about it--although sad and concerned, Sarah turned to me and said, "Why are you talking to me about this?"  Heartbreaking. 
They had a moment of silence at school and they were told more details so I was thankful I had said something to them.  Lots of hard conversations have followed about who has guns and why. 
Just last week they both came home talking about a teacher who had passed away over Christmas.  Hannah's version was harder to understand, but when I heard from Nathan I realized it was the sweet older woman who brought Hannah out every morning since the beginning of school.  More hard conversations. 

Reminds me to enjoy the moments and let go of everything else.  Now off to watch a bowl game with my boy.

No comments:

Little Tse Feet

Little Tse Feet